As regular CFZ-watchers will know, for some time Corinna has been doing a column for Animals & Men and a regular segment on On The Track... particularly about out-of-place birds and rare vagrants. There seem to be more and more bird stories from all over the world hitting the news these days so, to make room for them all - and to give them all equal and worthy coverage - she has set up this new blog to cover all things feathery and Fortean.

Monday 27 October 2014

Swooping butcher bird targets pensioner with walking frame

FOR the past month, pensioner Dodie Allen has been a prisoner in her small one-bedroom Silkstone unit.

She has been too afraid to venture outside knowing if she does she will immediately come under attack.

The villain in her life is an aggressive butcher bird that swoops and claws at her head.

Having to use a walker means she can't even lift her hands to try and fend off the dive-bombing bird she says targets her daily.

"I get sick in the stomach because I know it's coming after me," she said.

"You're like a prisoner, you feel like you can't go out anywhere."

Close to tears, Mrs Allen described the terror she felt due to the daily attacks.

"This happens every year but this year has been the worst ever," she said.

"Once it hit me so badly in the head I thought it was cracked open, I was terrified.

"I've tried wearing a hat, sunglasses and even taking an umbrella but it still gets me."

Mrs Allen lives in a public housing complex and said the bird left others alone while just targeting her.

No comments:

Post a Comment