As regular CFZ-watchers will know, for some time Corinna has been doing a column for Animals & Men and a regular segment on On The Track... particularly about out-of-place birds and rare vagrants. There seem to be more and more bird stories from all over the world hitting the news these days so, to make room for them all - and to give them all equal and worthy coverage - she has set up this new blog to cover all things feathery and Fortean.

Thursday 18 September 2014

Fined £50 by litter warden for throwing birds crumbs

A bird lover was fined for littering because she dropped breadcrumbs out of her window to feed the pigeons.

Melania Cestari threw crusts on to the street below her second floor flat and was seen by an eagle-eyed litter warden – who ordered her to pay a £50 on-the-spot fine.

Ballet dancer Ms Cestari insists she was doing nothing wrong. ‘There are no signs saying: “Do not feed the birds” and the bread was gone in a few seconds,’ she said.

‘I looked out the window and there was nobody around, so I put out a few pieces of bread. Then a warden appeared and called up at me. He said I was littering and, without warning, gave me a fine.’

The 32-year-old Italian-born student, who is studying at Swansea University, added: ‘I was only trying to do good. The birds need to eat too. I was very upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment